Monday, April 2, 2012

Please Don’t Missunderstand

This is not an anti-Mormon blog. I do not have anything against The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. However, I have found that many people like to be able to talk about something without feeling like they’re talking to a sales person.
I have taken the Kirby Vacuum salesman training, and I have also been trained as a missionary. The two were eerily similar. So I am neither converting, or bashing. Merely providing information and conversation to a world where Mormon-fact and Mormon-fiction are very different.
I was recently asked if growing up Mormon screwed me up. The answer was a quick, “Oh yeah. Totally.” Followed by a friend’s laugh of affirmation, and a cousin’s awkward giggle-cough. It’s strange, I don’t believe in my God, or yours, but I still think about things as a comparison between the two. Basically meaning, that I will never truly be free.
So, I accept my bondage, and have created this Blog as a safe place to ask and discuss anything Mormon. They are both totally normal and completely insane, but understanding why can only be done by someone like myself, the ‘Jane Goodall of Mormons’.

7 comments:

  1. Ha! I have to agree with being 'screwed up' lol I 100% understand what you mean. - Glad I found THIS blog - I think I like the blogger interface better than wordpress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Diary! I'm not totally sure how i feel about blogger, but i'm gonna give it a go even though my wordpress one still gets more traffic. Fyi, i put you on my blog list! so i expect some good rantings! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, but they will misunderstand. Anything that does not directly support them is the enemy. Education, truth, reason, and logic are the enemies of the LDS church.

    What do you mean by "my bondage"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a Mormon, I don't think that anything that doesn't directly support me is the enemy. We're taught that we should get as much education as we can, and to be truthful. If you have to reason with yourself that what you're doing is good, then it's probably bad, and logic means different things to different people. I don't like being stereotyped, or just the general grouping of people together, people are different so no one person will fit into one category.

      Delete
  4. Well 411, you have a point. LDS people could misunderstand my intent. This post is just my disclaimer that it is not my intention to offend or drive people away. And this is the internet, the perfect place for anonymous rebuttals. I am more than happy to discuss what I write about, but I won't argue.
    'My bondage' refers to the fact that mentally I will never totally be free from the church.
    Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you there. Mormonism will always be a deep part of me. You might find this wierd to hear, but sometimes when I say the words "Joseph Smith was a fraud" it still burns my inner Mormon ears. And I don't know if I'll ever fully recover sexually. One big step for me will be to get the hell out of Utah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. getting out of Utah might help, but you'll never be free. I have a house in Salt Lake, but am currently living out of the country. my friends are foreigners from all over the world, and they call be Brother Jack because i used to be mormon.
      i don't know quite what you mean by sexual recover, i'm not sure i should ask.
      but i totally know what you mean about things still burning your ears. that happens to me all the time. i have this thing where i feel justified in my own personal issues with the church, but anytime someone else starts bad mouthing i feel compelled to defend the church. almost like i earned the right to be bitter.

      Delete